Tony obtained a master degree and PhD in physics at the University of Calabria (Italy) with a dissertation on quantum information processing in spin chains. He then moved to the University of Florence as a postdoctoral research assistant working on quantum magnetism for a couple of years. He was then awarded a three-year EU-funded fellowship, which he spent between the University of Calabria and Queen's University of Belfast (UK) focusing on impurities in spin systems for quantum information applications. From 2014 he spent three years at the University of Palermo (Italy) working on quantum thermodynamics. In 2017 he has been appointed as Senior Lecturer at the ICTP-EAIFR (Rwanda). He joined the Department of Physics of the University of Malta as Senior Lecturer in July 2018.
Tony's research interests are quantum mechanics, condensed matter physics, spin systems, quantum information, quantum thermodynamics, quantum phase transitions, and magnetism.
- S. Lorenzo, T. Apollaro, G. M. Palma, R. Nandkishore, A. Silva, and J. Marino; Remnants of Anderson localization in pre-thermalization induced by white noise; Phys. Rev. B 98, 054302 (2018); arXiv:1712.05793.
- Guilherme M. A. Almeida, Francisco A. B. F. de Moura, Tony J. G. Apollaro, and Marcelo L. Lyra; Disorder-assisted distribution of entanglement in $XY$ spin chains; Phys. Rev. A 96, 032315 (2017); arXiv:1707.05865.
- Tony J. G. Apollaro, Gianluca Francica, Domenico Giuliano, Giovanni Falcone, G. Massimo Palma, and Francesco Plastina; Universal scaling of a classical impurity in the quantum Ising chain; Phys. Rev. B 96, 155145 (2017); arXiv:1706.09834.
- Salvatore Lorenzo, Jamir Marino, Francesco Plastina, G. Massimo Palma, and Tony J. G. Apollaro; Quantum Critical Scaling under Periodic Driving; Sci. Rep. 7, 5672 (2017); arXiv:1612.02259.
- Salvatore Lorenzo, Tony J. G. Apollaro, Andrea Trombettoni, and Simone Paganelli; Quantum state transfer with ultracold atoms in optical lattices; arXiv:1610.03248.
- Simone Paganelli, and Tony J. G. Apollaro; Irreversible Work versus Fidelity Susceptibility for infinitesimal quenches; Int. J. Mod. Phys. B 31, 1750065 (2017); arXiv:1610.02666.
- G. Francica, T. J. G. Apollaro, N. Lo Gullo, and F. Plastina; Local Quench, Majorana Zero Modes, and Disturbance Propagation in the Ising chain; Phys. Rev. B 94, 245103 (2016); arXiv:1610.02556.
- Tony J. G. Apollaro, G. Massimo Palma, and Jamir Marino; Entanglement entropy in a periodically driven quantum Ising chain; Phys. Rev. B 94, 134304 (2016); arXiv:1603.03579.
- Abolfazl Bayat, Tony J. G. Apollaro, Simone Paganelli, Gabriele De Chiara, Henrik Johannesson, Sougato Bose, and Pasquale Sodano; Nonequilibrium critical scaling from quantum thermodynamics; Phys. Rev. B 93, 201106 (2016); arXiv:1601.04368.
- Guilherme M. A. Almeida, Francesco Ciccarello, Tony J. G. Apollaro, and Andre M. C. Souza; Quantum-state transfer in staggered coupled-cavity arrays; Phys. Rev. A 93, 032310 (2016); arXiv:1510.02733.
- S. Lorenzo, T. J. G. Apollaro, S. Paganelli, G. M. Palma, and F. Plastina; Transfer of arbitrary two qubit states via a spin chain; Phys. Rev. A 91, 042321 (2015); arXiv:1502.02458.
- F. Plastina, A. Alecce, T. J. G. Apollaro, G. Falcone, G. Francica, F. Galve, N. Lo Gullo, and R. Zambrini; Irreversible work and inner friction in quantum thermodynamic processes; Phys. Rev. Lett. 113, 260601 (2014); arXiv:1407.3441.
- Tony J. G. Apollaro, Gianluca Francica, Mauro Paternostro, and Michele Campisi; Work statistics, irreversible heat and correlations build-up in joining two spin chains; arXiv:1406.0648.
- T. J. G. Apollaro, S. Lorenzo, A. Sindona, S. Paganelli, G. L. Giorgi, and F. Plastina; Many-qubit quantum state transfer via spin chains; Physica Scripta, Volume 2015, Number T165; arXiv:1404.7837.
- L. Fusco, S. Pigeon, T. J. G. Apollaro, A. Xuereb, L. Mazzola, M. Campisi, A. Ferraro, M. Paternostro, and G. De Chiara; Assessing the non-equilibrium thermodynamics in a quenched quantum many-body system via single projective measurements; Phys. Rev. X4, 031029 (2014); arXiv:1404.3150.
- Tony J. G. Apollaro, Salvatore Lorenzo, Carlo Di Franco, Francesco Plastina, and Mauro Paternostro; Competition between memory-keeping and memory-erasing decoherence channels; Phys. Rev. A 90, 012310 (2014); arXiv:1311.2045.
- T. J. G. Apollaro, F. Plastina, L. Banchi, A. Cuccoli, R. Vaia, P. Verrucchi, and M. Paternostro; Effective cutting of a quantum spin chain by bond impurities; Phys. Rev. A 88, 052336 (2013); arXiv:1309.5227.
- S. Campbell, L. Mazzola, G. De Chiara, T. J. G Apollaro, F. Plastina, Th. Busch, and M. Paternostro; Global quantum correlations in finite-size spin chains; New J. Phys. 15, 043033 (2013); arXiv:1301.7114.
- Simone Paganelli, Salvatore Lorenzo, Tony J. G. Apollaro, Francesco Plastina, and Gian Luca Giorgi; Routing quantum information in spin chains; Phys. Rev. A 87, 062309 (2013); arXiv:1301.5610.
- S. Lorenzo, T. J. G. Apollaro, A. Sindona, and F. Plastina; Quantum-state transfer via resonant tunnelling through local field induced barriers; Phys. Rev. A 87, 042313 (2013); arXiv:1301.1774.
- Tony J. G. Apollaro, Salvatore Lorenzo, and Francesco Plastina; Transport of Quantum Correlations across a spin chain; Int. J. Mod. Phys. B 27, 1345035 (2013); arXiv:1207.6048.
- T. J. G. Apollaro, L. Banchi, A. Cuccoli, R. Vaia, and P. Verrucchi; 99%-fidelity ballistic quantum-state transfer through long uniform channels; Phys. Rev. A 85, 052319 (2012); arXiv:1203.5516.
- Leonardo Banchi, Tony John George Apollaro, Alessandro Cuccoli, Ruggero Vaia, and Paola Verrucchi; Long quantum channels for high-quality entanglement transfer; New J. Phys. 13, 123006 (2011); arXiv:1105.6058.
- S. Campbell, T. J. G. Apollaro, C. Di Franco, L. Banchi, A. Cuccoli, R. Vaia, F. Plastina, and M. Paternostro; Propagation of non-classical correlations across a quantum spin chain; Phys. Rev. A 84, 052316 (2011); arXiv:1105.5548.
- T. J. G. Apollaro, C. Di Franco, F. Plastina, and M. Paternostro; Memory-keeping effects and forgetfulness in the dynamics of a qubit coupled to a spin chain; Phys. Rev. A 83, 032103 (2011); arXiv:1011.5653.
- Leonardo Banchi, Tony John George Apollaro, Alessandro Cuccoli, Ruggero Vaia, and Paola Verrucchi; Optimal dynamics for quantum-state and entanglement transfer through homogeneous quantum wires; Phys. Rev. A 82, 052321 (2010); arXiv:1006.1217.
- T. J. G. Apollaro, A. Cuccoli, C. Di Franco, M. Paternostro, F. Plastina, and P. Verrucchi; Manipulating and protecting entanglement by means of spin environments; New J. Phys. 8, 083046 (2010); arXiv:1001.5440.
- Tony Apollaro, Alessandro Cuccoli, Andrea Fubini, Francesco Plastina, and Paola Verrucchi; Staggered magnetization and entanglement enhancement by magnetic impurities in $S=1/2$ spin chain; arXiv:0801.4700.
- F. Plastina, and T. J. G. Apollaro; Local control of entanglement in a spin chain; Phys. Rev. Lett. 99, 177210 (2007); arXiv:0712.2509.
- Tony J. G. Apollaro, and Francesco Plastina; Entanglement localization by a single defect in a spin chain; Phys. Rev. A 74, 062316 (2006); arXiv:quant-ph/0610055.